Deviled Egg Salad
- 24 Toasted Onion Crisps
- 6 eggs, hard-boiled, cooled and peeled
- 1/4 cup medium red onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp. horseradish mustard
- 1 tbsp. pickle relish
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp chipotle in adobo, chopped
- Fresh chives or Italian parsley, for garnish
- 24 small arugula leaves, for serving
In a large bowl, blend together the onion, mayo, mustard, pickle relish, lemon juice and chipotle. In a separate smaller bowl, gently mash the peeled eggs with a fork or potato masher. Don’t overdo it — the egg salad will have a lighter, fluffier texture if you don’t crush the eggs too much. Gently fold the eggs into the dressing mixture and taste for seasoning. Add any fresh herbs or additional chipotle if you’d like the egg salad a little spicier. Arrange the crisps on a serving platter and top each crisp with a single arugula leaf. Gently dollop a little scoop of egg salad on the arugula and garnish with fresh chives or parsley. Serve immediately and watch your retro appetizers disappear before anything else!
If you’re serving this at a fancy party, you could top each crisp with a small cooked shrimp or a bit of smoked salmon or lump crab to make a gorgeously luxe hors d’oeuvre!