Crab Salad With Avocado & Lemon
- 24 Toasted Onion Crisps
- 8 oz. jumbo lump crab, drained and picked over
- 1/2 red, yellow or orange bell pepper, diced
- 2 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced, plus more for garnish
- Zest and juice of one lemon
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (or to taste)
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- Kosher salt, freshly-ground black pepper and hot sauce
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and sliced into small cracker-sized pieces
- Baby spinach, arugula or other greens
In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, mustard, diced peppers, scallions, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Fold in the crab meat, being careful not to break up the chunks too much. Taste and adjust for seasoning as necessary with salt, pepper, hot sauce and lemon juice. You can add more or less mayonnaise to suit your own taste. Chill crab mixture if not serving immediately.
Place an arugula or spinach leaf on each crisp, followed by a slice of avocado. Just before serving, spoon about 1 tsp. of crab salad on each crisp. Garnish with sliced scallions and lemon zest.
Never slice avocados too far in advance of serving, as they oxidize and darken quickly.