Corned Beef & Sauerkraut
- 24 Toasted Onion Crisps
- 4 oz. good-quality corned beef, cut into small cracker-size pieces
- Slices of deli Swiss cheese, each slice quartered (giving you 24 small pieces — adjust your quantities as necessary if your cheese slices happen to be particularly large!)
- 2 oz. good-quality sauerkraut
- 2 tbsp. Thousand Island dressing
- 18 tiny pickles, halved lengthwise
- Freshly-ground black pepper
Place the crisps on a serving platter. Assemble by layering each crisp with corned beef, a tiny spoonful of sauerkraut, a slice of Swiss and a dollop of Thousand Island. Top each with a halved cornichon and enjoy immediately!
Beyond the corned beef vs. pastrami debate, the Reuben isn’t really about interpretation, since it’s the combination of these four classic ingredients (meat, sauerkraut, Swiss cheese and Thousand Island) that makes a Reuben…a Reuben. That said, of course you could try this with sliced turkey, but really, on this recipe — stick with what works.