Brie with Peach, Bourbon & Pecan Relish
- 24 Sesame Crisps
- About 6 oz. good-quality Brie, Camembert or other soft, creamy cheese, at room temperature
- 1 perfectly ripe fresh peach, diced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 tsp. brown sugar (depending on peach’s sweetness)
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- Splash of bourbon (or to taste)
- Kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper
- Scallions or chives, sliced thinly, for garnish
In a small bowl, gently fold together diced peach, red pepper, pecans, onion, brown sugar and bourbon. Allow to sit for about five minutes so flavors meld and the peach releases its juices. Taste for seasoning; add salt, pepper and a little more bourbon if desired. Keep in mind that you don’t want the relish to be too liquid or too alcoholic! – so go easy on the bourbon until you have the flavor you’re after. The relish should taste like summer with appealing textural contrast from the crunchy onion and pepper.
While the bourbon is of course a valued component of Southern cooking, you’re welcome to omit it. If you do omit the bourbon, you may wish to punch up the relish with a little lemon juice or red wine vinegar. You may wish to try this delectable relish with other favored cheeses, as well – creamy Gouda or Havarti would also be good pairings.